Sunday, January 16, 2011

Library Empties Shelves

I try not to steal things from Only Connect, but this was the first I'd heard of UK library troubles and this story was pretty amazing - people took out all the books from a library in an attempt to save it.

"I went home, put it on Facebook and emailed everyone I could think of and it's just gone absolutely mad."

They planned to start the campaign on Wednesday, but keen supporters of the library started taking books out the week before.

And in just over a week, the shelves were emptied, with the final books withdrawn yesterday.

"People were going in last night to get books and there weren't any left, "she said.

"I think it's a very simple but clever idea and it's given something that people can act on and make their voice heard.

Witness the freaky powers of social networking harnessed for good!

1 comments:

Alexandra said...

i give you permission to steal, anytime!

Post a Comment