Friday, March 26, 2010

The Streak

When his second daughter was in fourth grade, Jim Brozina proposed The Streak: he and his daughter Kristen would read together every night for a hundred nights without missing once. A hundred nights turned into a thousand nights, and eventually went up to 3,218 nights.

It's a cute story, going from fourth grade all the way up to Kristen's first day of college. I have to say, though, I feel a little bad for his first daughter, Kathy, who declared she would take over from her father reading to her at bedtime in fourth grade. Maybe she didn't like being read to; I can empathize. I'd rather read on my own, it's faster. And maybe she missed out on something big that her father had with her little sister. And even if she didn't want to be read to, I imagine she has at least a little regret.

0 comments:

Post a Comment