Friday, March 26, 2010

Snopes

Snopes.com is actually run by a husband and wife team. I had no idea; I figured it was a bunch of people. I suppose I always envisioned them as being hipsters in their twenties with the big thick-rimmed glasses. (Which I love, and which I own and wear.) (Glasses, not hipsters. I don't wear hipsters.)

The site debunks myths; if you're not sure if a story you've heard is real, you look to Snopes.com. I got hit by the Family Scammer, though my variant was a friend. They'd gotten into his Google mail and Facebook accounts. I did not believe he was in Wales and didn't send them anything, but it's still the most plausible money-grabbing scheme I've ever been emailed. (It also didn't involve a phone call.) Far more convincing than that Nigerian guy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment