Friday, January 15, 2010

Media Literate Six Year Olds

From WIRED: Media-Literate Sex-Year-Olds. Mrs. Cassidy is teaching her grade one class how to be media literate. They're already pretty good at navigating web sites they know. They keep a class blog. They've already been taught to be helpful and not mean in comments.

This reminds me of an article I skimmed some time ago about Google wanting to help children search better. Is it better to try to adapt to a child's needs or to have a child adapt to Google's system? (The other question being, 'how young do we want kids to be on the internet?', 'safe searches' and all. I know I could have gotten into a lot of trouble as a little kid with a safe search on Google, especially since I would be trying my damnedest to see bad things.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment