Saturday, August 21, 2010

Librianship vs. Technological Advisory

A good article from Library Juice - Our Niche and How to Get Back Into It. Rory Litwin proposes that librarians need to be less concerned with technical knowledge than general knowledge and the real specialization of librarians: communities and their information needs.

Where I feel that greater knowledge would help me to be a better librarian is across the board – within my assigned subject areas, yes, but in all subjects, and particularly about things like scholarly communities, the research into reading behavior, learning theory, media studies, and all of those fields that are connected to what we do. I think that improving my general knowledge and working to improve my insight into people are the most effective ways I can work to become a better librarian.

0 comments:

Post a Comment