Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Newspaper Website Subscriptions

So this one newspaper decided to put it's website up behind a 'pay wall' - people need to pay a subscription fee to read the articles - and there were only 35 people who signed up for it.

I'll admit I kind of giggled. I think what the newspaper failed to realize was that it's not the only news source out there. If I follow a link to the New York Times website and it turns out to be broken (they don't allow permanent access without paying for it), I will just look it up on a search engine.

I find that New York Times thing really annoying, by the way. Some articles are still interesting months later, and not allowing people to share them past an expiry date is irritating... particularly when people can look up newspaper archives in libraries for free anyway.

0 comments:

Post a Comment